Absentee Voting Requirements
The following voters qualify to cast a ballot by mail. An application must be mailed to the voter, completed and returned to our office no later than the Tuesday prior to the election in order for a ballot to be mailed. An application may be requested in person, by phone, or in writing by the voter, the voter's spouse, parent, or child.
1. A person who due to age, disability, or illness will be unable to go to the polls on election day.
2. A student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered. The ballot must be mailed to the voter out of county.
3. A person who temporarily resides outside the state but who is still eligible to vote in this state (this includes vacationers). The ballot must be mailed to the voter out of state.
4. A person who is incarcerated in jail who has been charged with a crime but has yet to be convicted of the crime.
5. A person whose employment location requires him/her to be absent from the county on election day and all hours and days absentee voting by machine is conducted in the clerk's office.
6. Military personnel confined to a military base on election day.
7. Covered Voters as defined in KRS 117A.010 - Fayette County voters who are Members of the Armed Forces and their dependents who will be out of the county on election day and voters residing overseas (temporarily or permanently).
8. A voter who is a participant in the Office of the Secretary of State's address confidentiality program.
You may vote in person on a machine in the Fayette County Clerk's office 8:00-4:30, Monday through Friday, during the walk-in absentee voting period if you are:
1. A voter who will be outside the county on election day.
2. A student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered who will be out of the county on election day.
3. A voter who is a member of the Armed Forces or a dependent of a member of the Armed Forces and will be out of the county on election day.
4. A voter who is a member of the Armed Forces who will be confined to a base within the county on election day and who learns of that confinement within seven days or less of the election.
5. A voter who is a US citizen residing overseas and will be out of the county on election day.
6. A voter or spouse of a voter who has surgery scheduled that will require hospitalization on election day.
7. A woman in her last trimester of pregnancy.