Boat Purchased Out of State
Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of purchase.
What you will need:
- Original Out-of-State Title (If a title is not issued by that state, provide the Certificate of Registration accompanied by a bill of sale) properly assigned by the seller and notarized, if required in that state
- Application for Title/Registration (TC96-184) (See Example)
- Out-of-State Purchase - Use Tax Affidavit (51A280) (See Example)
- Proof of sales/use tax paid to the dealer (if applicable)
- Picture identification
- Social Security Number for each new owner(s) or Federal Tax ID Number for companies
*All liens must be terminated prior to transfer.
How will Use Tax be calculated?
A 6% Kentucky use tax is collected on the sale price. Credit is given for sales or use tax paid to a dealer. Proof is required. (Occassional sales between individuals may be exempt from use tax.)
|Title fee:||$ 9.00|
|Clerk fee:||$ 3.00 - $ 6.00|
|Lien filing fee if applicable:||$22.00 - $26.00|
|1 ft. to 16 ft.||$25.00|
|16 ft. to 26 ft.||$29.00|
|26 ft. to 40 ft.||$35.00|
|40 ft. and over||$39.00|
|All inboards and inboard/outboard motors||$40.00|
Any delinquent property tax owed may prohibit title/registration.