Working as an Election Officer
Elections are the cornerstone of our democracy. Election officers are the backbone of conducting elections in Fayette County. The Board of Elections is always looking for qualified voters to assist in conducting elections.
Election officers are voters who help ensure the voting process goes smoothly. More than 1200 voters in Fayette County serve as election officers for the Fayette County Board of Elections to ensure that fair and accurate elections are conducted. On Election Day, the Board of Elections counts on election officers to efficiently process voters, provide instructions on the proper use of voting equipment, and make sure that everyone who is eligible is given the opportunity to vote. It's a great way to serve your community. It's a day to feel Proud to be an American.
Requirements to Serve as an Election Officer
1. An election officer must be a qualified Democrat or Republican voter in the precinct in which he/she serves unless appointed as an alternate. An alternate must be a registered voter in the county. Registered 17 year olds may serve in the primary election if they will be 18 years old on or before the day of the general election.
2. An election officer cannot have changed party affiliation for one year prior to appointment.
3. An election officer must be able to read and write English.
4. An election officer must attend training sessions required by the Fayette County Board of Elections before each primary and general election.
5. An election officer cannot be a candidate for office during the election year.
6. An election officer cannot be the spouse, parent, brother, sister or child of a candidate who is to be voted for at the election in the precinct in which the election officer will serve on Election Day.
7. An election officer must be able to work from 5:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. or until the polls close, to stand for long periods of time and lift up to 25 pounds.
8. An election officer must have transportation to election training and to the precinct on Election Day.