- The insurance must be Commonwealth of Kentucky proof of insurance. Out of state insurance will not be accepted. (The only exception is for Military personnel.*)
- The registered owner/lessee must be named as the insured.
- New residents must obtain Kentucky insurance before registering their vehicle.
- If you are purchasing a vehicle, you must obtain Kentucky liability insurance naming you as the insured for that vehicle before titling and registering.
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) and named insured on the insurance proof must match the title.
- An insurance binder is acceptable for 30 days from the effective date. The binder must state that the coverage is "bound".
- The insurance proof must contain the five digit NAIC number.
- The insurance proof must describe the policy type as "PL" for personal or "CL" for commercial.
- The effective date must be within 45 days of transaction date.
*Military personnel may have insurance from another state. A copy of the military ID must be provided.