Moving to Kentucky
Titling and Registering Your Vehicle
Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of moving into the state.
What you will need:
- Original Out-of-State Title (Photocopies are not acceptable)
- Application for Title/Registration (TC96-182) (See Example)
- Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance (VIN and registered owner must match registration)
- Picture identification
- Proof of sales tax paid when vehicle was purchased (usually found on the buyer's order from the dealership, on the title or your first time registration - cancelled checks are not acceptable proof)
- Social Security Number for each owner(s) appearing on the title or Federal Tax ID Number for companies
- Certified inspection
Please park your vehicle in a "Reserved for Auto Inspections" space located in the Helix Garage, adjacent to our building. If you are unable to bring the vehicle to our office, arrangements may also be made for vehicle inspection through the Fayette County Sheriff's office at (859) 252-1771. There is an additional $10.00 fee for travel.
Leased vehicles operating on a Kentucky U-Drive-It Permit will not require an inspection.
- Title Lien Statement (TC96-187) if applicable
Recreational vehicles require a Seal of Approval
If you have lost your out-of-state title you will need to request a duplicate from the state that last titled your vehicle.
How will Road Usage Tax be calculated?
A 6% Kentucky road usage tax is collected on the trade-in value. Credit will be allowed for qualifying tax paid in the other state.
|Plate fee:||$||21.00||annual registration|
|Lien filing fee if applicable:||$||22.00|
Special plates are available for additional fees. Click here to see our special plates.