Lien FAQ

Q: Can you accept a release that is on the bank's letterhead and signed by a representative?
A: No. We can only accept one of the following forms to release vehicle liens: Original Clerk's Filing Receipt, Title Lien Statement (Form TC96-187), or a UCC-3 Financing Statement Amendment.

Q: How do I get a lien released if the car lot has gone out of business?
A: First try to call a contact person from the car lot. If you cannot do this, then you can petition the Circuit Court and file suit.

Q: What do I do with the release that the bank mailed to me?
A: You need to mail or bring the release into our office along with your title and we will release the lien in the computer and sign the lien off on the title.

Q: Will you accept a faxed termination?
A: Only if it is faxed from the secured party or another county clerk's office. If the fax does not have the secured party or county clerk's name as the header, we will need to have a cover sheet also.

Q: If the lien is filed in another county, do you fax terminations to other county clerk's offices?
A: Yes. There is a $3 fee.