Titling and Registering a Brand New Boat
Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of purchase.
What you will need:
- Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin properly assigned by the selling dealer
- Application for Title and Registration (TC96-184) (See Example)
- Proof of sales/use tax paid to the dealer
- Out-of-State Purchase - Use Tax Affidavit (51A3280) (See Example)
- Picture identification
- Social Security Number for each new owner(s) appearing on the title or Federal Tax ID Number for companies.
How will Use Tax be calculated?
A 6% Kentucky use tax is collected on the sale price. Credit is given for sales or use tax paid to a dealer. Proof is required.
|Title fee:||$ 9.00|
|Clerk fee:||$ 3.00 - $ 6.00|
|Lien filing fee if applicable:||$22.00 - $26.00|
|1 ft. to 16 ft.||$25.00|
|16 ft. to 26 ft.||$29.00|
|26 ft. to 40 ft.||$35.00|
|40 ft. and over||$39.00|
|All inboards and inboard/outboard motors||$40.00|
Any delinquent property tax owed may prohibit title/registration.