Buying or Selling a Kentucky titled boat
Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of purchase.
What you will need:
- The original Kentucky Title or Certificate of Registration if no title was issued
- Application for Title/Registration (TC96-184) (See Example)
- Picture identification for buyer and seller (If buyer and/or seller will not be present in our office, the application must be signed and notarized prior to transfer.)
- Social Security Number for each new owner(s) or Federal ID Tax Number for companies
- Title Lien Statement (TC96-187) if applicable
*All liens must be terminated prior to transfer.
If you have lost your Kentucky title you will need to order a duplicate title.
|Clerk fee:||$ 6.00|
|Lien filing fee if applicable:||$22.00 - $26.00|
|1 ft. to 16 ft.||$25.00|
|16 ft. to 26 ft.||$29.00|
|26 ft. to 40 ft.||$35.00|
|40 ft. and over||$39.00|
|All inboards and inboard/outboard motors||$40.00|
Any delinquent property tax owed may prohibit title/registration.
Property tax for your vehicles, trailers and boats are assessed by the Property Valuation Administrator on January 1st of each year. You are responsible for property tax on any boat registered to you on January 1.